JWB Has Commissioned New Torahs for U.S. Troops
“The Torah is a tree of life to those who hold fast to it.” Currently, although JWB has 60 Torahs at major military installations around the world, with more than 10,000 Jewish Americans serving on active duty, we need more. Chaplains in the field and aboard ships need scrolls that can accompany them from site to site, as they move around the combat theater. To meet this pressing need, and to ensure that our troops have access to a Torah when a chaplain visits, JWB has commissioned the writing of small, lightweight, fully kosher Sifrei Torah (Torah scrolls).
JWB Jewish Chaplains Council is a service of JCC Association of North America. There are currently thousands of Jewish troops in the U.S. Armed Forces, stationed around the world. JWB cares for the spiritual, religious, and morale needs of these brave men and women, and their families, and provides the following services:
- essential kosher food, ritual supplies, and materials to observe all Jewish holidays
- phone cards to stay in touch with loved ones at home
- a special pocket-sized edition of the Tanakh, the complete Jewish Bible, sized to fit in military utility uniform pockets
- specialized training for rabbis and lay leaders who serve as military chaplains
- Torah scrolls for chaplains to use in the field
The Torah is Traveling To...
To bring the Torah, the Sofer and a member of the JWB team to your community please contact Barbara Lerman-Golomb at (212) 710-6436 or email@example.com.
Community members would be able to inscribe letters, words, psukim, prakim, parshot and even an entire Torah.